I had the pleasure of joining Johnell McCauley on Eat Great Live Well radio. During the interview, we discussed some of my favorite, lower sugar but ultimately delicious healthful desserts: homemade chocolate and a sweet turmeric milkshake (trust me – don’t knock it until you try it!). Check out the interview here!
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup melted cacao butter (it looks like white chocolate)
- 2 tablespoons honey (preferably raw)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cacao powder
- Optional: add anything you desire! Dried fruit pieces, chopped nuts or chia seeds for a crunch.
Mix all ingredients in a pot on very low heat until well integrated.
Spread out onto tapered cookie sheet or your favorite platter, lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle your favorite dried fruit or nut on top.
Freeze until hard. Crack into chunks to make a bark. Serve immediately, or keep in the fridge so it doesn’t melt down.
BONUS keep the chocolate melted down, add 1/4 more coconut oil and drizzle over favorite ice cream or frozen banana, let harden. It’s like a healthful magic shell!
Sweet Turmeric Milkshake
- 1 cup almond milk or combination of ½ cup coconut milk, ½ cup coconut water (highly recommend coconut)
- 1 ripe banana – skin should be a bit brown (frozen, or unfrozen – your choice)
- 1 heaping tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- pinch of sea salt
- optional: ice
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth, adding more turmeric or ice to get desired taste and consistency.